Green smoothies have landed with a bang and are here to stay. Whether they’re in vogue, part of the detox frenzy, make us feel we’re taking good care of ourselves or simply because we like them, these delicious juices are becoming more and more familiar.
Have you ever thought of adding some olive oil to your smoothies? Olive oil is packed with goodness, and even more so when consumed raw. Here are some quick and easy recipes for adding it to your green smoothies so you can enjoy these bursts of nutrients any hour of the day.
1. Cucumber, apple and spinach. Let’s start with a classic: the typical detox smoothie, with an extra-special touch in the form of a good dash of olive oil. Ideal for beginners.
2. Celery, cucumber, apple and rocket. This smoothie takes you another step down the sometimes tricky path of adjusting to green smoothies. The strong taste of the rocket might take a bit of getting used to, although if you’re already a spinach fan, you’ll love it. The olive oil adds extra body and flavour.
3. Beetroot, rocket and lemon. An ideal detox smoothie to get your liver in tiptop condition. If you prefer a milder flavour, as well as two equal parts of beetroot and rocket, lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil, try adding an orange. Light, refreshing and full of energy.
4. How about a combination of extra-virgin olive oil and fruit? Throw together some yellow grapefruits, apples, curly kale to give it that lovely green hue, a little ginger and mint, and you’re good to go. What a way to start the day!
5. Let’s hear it for green! Almost everything in this final smoothie is green: celery, spinach, parsley, pineapple and, of course, extra-virgin olive oil. You won’t find a better detox.